Friday, September 27, 2013

Review: Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity

Uhm, excuse me, but if you haven't read this book yet (which you probably have...this is another one I was late to the game on), you truly must rectify that immediately. I don't care if you are a Twi-hard or someone who would prefer to immerse himself in the three volume epic Winston Churchill biography (I won't mention any names), this book will appeal to anyone on the planet with any sense at all. This puppy blew me away, which doesn't happen too often. It is a WWII historical novel, but with a twist: it features women protagonists who are not just nurses or typists or evacuees, but actually fight on the front lines of the war itself (one of them is a pilot!).

The book is full of non-stop action that will leave you with little stubs for fingernails (if you have similar vices as me), but also has really compelling characters. It is the kind of book that stays with you for a long time after you finish it. I read it about four months ago actually and still think of it on the regular.

There is a major plot twist halfway through the book that will leave you hyperventilating (consider reading with a strong drink at your side, or a valium). I honestly can't say much more about the plot without giving that away. Holy HELL! This is so creative and well written. Elizabeth Wein is brilliant with voice: her characters sound unique and interesting and you just do not want this book to ever end. EVER! WHY DID YOU END IT, ELIZABETH?

Well I just Googled Ms. Wein and it looks like this is not her only book. Praise be. I will definitely be checking out her other work. GET YOUR HANDS ON THIS SUCKER IMMEDIATELY.

5 stars!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment