Saturday, August 7, 2010
the versatile blogger award
I received THE VERSATILE BLOOGGER AWARD (my first blogging award!) about two months ago, thanks to brandileigh at BLKOSINER - very exciting for a fledgling blogger like myself. Then, in the past week, I received it two more times from NYMFAUX and JEN THE BIBLIOPHILE. Thanks so much to all of you! I'm going to sit down and actually pass this along now.
The Rules for the award are:
1. Thank and link back to the person who gave you this award.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Pass the award along to 15 bloggers who you have recently discovered and who you think are fantastic for whatever reason! (In no particular order...)
4. Contact the bloggers you've picked and let them know about the award.
Seven things about me:
1. I am a southern girl who was cruelly transplanted into the frozen tundra of New England about two years ago (seriously...a high of 60 degrees in April is NOT cause for celebration, much less donning a sundress).
2. I majored in English as an undergrad at William & Mary (go tribe!!!), with a minor in religious studies and a late-blooming interest in Russian language. I think part of why I love YA lit so much now is because I never had time to read it when I actually was a young adult...it's like some kind of private rebellion against the likes of Milton, Swift, Shakespeare, Donne, etc.--all quite respectable lads, mind you--who enslaved me while I was in college. Nowadays I'll take a bloody vamp drama to Paradise Lost any day of the week, yes please.
3. I ride my bicycle to work every day (the joys of living a mile away from one's place of employment). It's a 1970's era Columbia 5-speed. Unfortunately, a storm knocked it over a couple weeks ago while it was parked outside the pub during happy hour...and now the chain spinner-arounder-gizmo thing (chain ring, it might be called??) is busted, so I've been having to commute on my roommate's spare bike...a gigantic man-bike that I have to prop up next to the curb in order to mount. Really classy, especially in a dress.
4. I was born on Jane Austen's death-day.
5. I play on a local kickball team (I'm using the term "play" loosely here: I mainly just stand way the heck back in the outfield and pray to the dear lord that no one will kick it near me. I'm not bad at bunting, though!)
6. What do you get when you cross a cop with a skunk? Law & Odor!!! (ok, that wasn't really about me, but this is: I get a huge kick out of really outrageously, obscenely dumb jokes.)
7. Moy drook (мой друг) was the first phrase I learned in Russian class...it means "my friend." So my blog title literally means "my friend reads." Which I think is kind of cute and hopefully gets to the point of what I'm trying to achieve here...a place where I can connect with other book lovers.
And now I would like to pass along this award, in no particular order, to the following 9 bloggers (I know you're supposed to give it to 15 people but that is too overwhelming for a Saturday morning...sorry):